Friday, 26 June 2015

So, what is Insurgency like?


OK, I've now had some time to really get to grips with Insurgency so thought it was about time I gave you my views on it.

But right off the bat I'll have to tell you that I'm very pleased I bought this game - and even more pleased that it didn't cost a huge amount (in fact STEAM have just had it on sale for the price of just £4.99 which is crazy). In fact I will go as far as saying that this game has rekindled my tactical shooter mojo.


If I had to put my finger on why I think this game is a terrific little 'tactical shooter lite' it's because it gives players a choice in how they play the game. The differing game modes really provide something for everyone, and because the game is heavily 'mod' based if a mode doesn't exist then just wait a while and you can bet your bottom dollar that it soon will do!

Myself, I have gotten really addicted with the co-op mode. Playing against bots may not be everybody's cup of tea but I really like the teamwork that results from live-players playing hoards of bots. Insurgency is turning out to be the best co-op game I've played since the original Ghost Recon - and I do not say that lightly.

(By the way, because of this emphasis on teamwork I have not read or heard the word 'noob' ONCE in the couple of weeks I have been playing this game...How nice is that?)


Variety is the spice of life and each map change seems to bring you the challenge
of tailoring your play style, weapon choice and character to a new environment.

Anyway, rather than me ramble on - as I do - I came across a video by BillyEatWorld Gaming that absolutely encapsulated my views of Insurgency. So instead of my reinventing teh wheel, so to speak, take a look at this...



To conclude, I see a lot of potential for this game (and games like it) - casual takes on the tactical shooter format which allow allow 'tactical shooter' fans like me get a quick fix and a lot of variety (rather than sitting down for a marathon 2 or 3 hour tactical infantry warfare fest, like ArmA or Project Reality).

One of my favourite maps is Buhriz because it reminds me so much of the sort
advance and capture gameplay I used to like in Battlefield 2. But also Insurgency
'keeps it real' and depicts battle scenarios that we are familiar with and not 'futuristic'
fantasy environments and weapons (no drones or invisibility cloaks here)!

No comments:

Post a Comment