
Cracking Ahead With My Next Two Gaslands Cars
A British Classic - ‘Pink Panther’
A couple of unusual little conversions this time. I fancied a change as it will be all too easy for me to get carried away with Mad Max muscle car projects if I’m not careful (I love muscle cars)! 😆
The first of my latest projects is one of the vehicles that was in a Matchbox set that my daughter gave me for Christmas. A nice Land Rover Defender 110.

This is a chance to do a proper off-road style 4x4 in the form of a Gaslands war vehicle. For once, an idea came to me straight away, helped by the fact that the Defender is a legendary military vehicle anyway. But, more specifically, it is well known as the historic ‘Pink Panther’ mount of the SAS!

So, I didn’t have to do that much work on the concept visuals for this, but - still - Google Gemini - did help me generate an idea of what my final conversion could look like…

…With and alternative version if I decided to go with some chunky off-road wheels…

Odd-Ball 1970’s Matchbox Sports Car
I’m not a fan of Matchbox’s 1970’s vintage sports cars, they all look like metal wedges of cheese to me with little real character. This is the reason that I have no interest in restoring these old Matchbox types to their original state. These period Matchbox cars tend not to be so popular with collectors.

Having said that, they make for pretty interesting shapes to convert into interesting looking Gaslands war wagons. If you look at the wonderful and varied shapes that appeared in ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ you’ll get that ‘quirky looking’ is actually an advantage in this case..
Here though, I definitely needed the help of GEMINI to come up with conversion ideas. As I have said before, Gemini AI (or ChatGPT) is a terrific way in which to explore alternative concept visuals as AI can easily churn out numerous variations of ideas very, very quickly…
It’s hard to see anything ‘road warrior’-like about a wedge of cheese, but Gemini came up with a couple of good ideas, including a great name for the creation of - ‘The Scarab’!
The end result was a stumpy little tracked and heavily armoured vehicle, which does look like some nasty little beetle. My contribution to this idea was to mount a honking great V8 engine at the back! 😈
I *think* I have plenty of spare tank tracks, of various sizes, in my old kit scraps box so the bike chain track idea might not pan out (a pity) I am sure I will be able to find something…


So that’s the concepts, next stop will be the break down of the cars and then the re-assembly!
Post a Comment