Watching YouTube Gaming Channels

To Game is Human, To Consume is Devine!

Why Play When You Can Watch - It's Safer!

I joke with this title, but only slightly because sometimes I just can't be bothered gaming, I'd rather just relax and watch someone else do the work! (Usually, on my laptop on the sofa when the wife puts one of 'her shows' on TV).

7D2D New Base Defences Test
Above: It's major gaming malfunctions like the one above - where I dropped a pipe bomb
right at my own feet - that makes me resort to watching others play!

But it's not all just laziness. I actually learn a lot from watching how other players tackle a particular game, I pick up tips and strategies and maybe find out about a feature that I have completely overlooked. And also, it's good to keep up on the latest game releases and the reviews of much hyped games so I don't waste what little pocket money I have on a real dog! 😄

My Top 5 Gaming Vlogs

To be honest, my 'most watched' gaming vlogs and channels do not tend to change much, even from year to year, because there are only so many games that have stayed the test of time with me (review channels are a different kettle of fish).

So, sorry if this list isn't all that much different from the last time I did this (but that list is probably lost on some older version of my blog anyway)!

1. The eScapist - Zero Punctuation

Getting revenge against the industry which has time and again treated we player/consumers like idiots, Escapist trolls the developers and the latest over-hyped Triple-A game and points out that we do - in fact - understand we are being screwed over regularly by these bastards!

While primarily a console player Escapist does 'review' (eviscerate) many of the top cross-platform games so I get my fair share of PC titles covered... But most of all, I just like the inventive insults!

2. Grim Reapers - Combat Simulator Scenarios

One of the great leaps forward in warfare simulators has been the rise of DCS World (Digital Combat Simulator). Uber realistic, the game is completely beyond my abilities or attention span (huge learning curve) BUT I do love to watch the fantastically realistic looking simulations scenarios that this modular game allows talented players to create.

Chief among these is are the Grim Reapers who spend an inordinate amount of time producing detailed 'what if' scenarios based on hypothetical historical events or topical current scenarios like this...

3. FailRace - Survive the Hunt Series

I couldn't leave this old favourite out of my list! FailRace and his dysfunctional team have been consistently one of my top 'go to' gaming channels for many years now. And in particular, I am a huge fan of his 'Survive the Hunt' series...

Ever wondered what an automotive version of 'hide & seek' or 'tag' would be like? No? Well, FailRace regularly answers this question whether you like it or not using modded GTA5 or Forza as the back drop.

Buckle up...

4. PC Gamer - Reviews

While I like to think of myself as a rebel and someone who is 'against' the whole monolithic gaming complex and it's treatment of we little guys as little more than cash cows 'who will buy anything'- Lord forgive me, but I STILL go back to the comforting 'normality' of PC Gamer for my gaming news.

Just like how some people still glean some uncomplicated comfort from listening to BBC Radio 1 - even though it stopped being a relevant source of 'what's hip' many years ago - I trundle back to Aunty Gamer on a regular basis (while at the same time professing how s**** it is)... Ah well...

5.  Glock 9 - 7 Days to Die Series

Another perennial chestnut is Glock 9's channel. I don't apologise for this at '7 Days to Die' is one of my favourite games and is one I keep going back to again and again.

What make Glock 9 stand out for me is that he does not profess to be a 'leet' player and although competent enough regularly makes enough silly mistakes to make you feel that you are not perhaps as bad a gamer than you thought you were after all!

Will his cheesy humour and self-effacing recognition of his own limitations he stumbles through 7D2D emanating the near-certain feeling that something could go terribly wrong at any minute. In short, he's the players player and doesn't make you - the audience - feel that you are being talked down to...

Hugely entertaining stuff.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post