
Getting Back Into The Swing Of Building Brick Models
Lots And Lots Of Tiny Parts… Good Grief!
It’s taken me a we while to get back into building one of these brick models, there’s definitely a knack to them. I’d just forgotten what it was! 😆
Mainly, it’s all about the prep and the organisation of all the many, many parts. I seem to have made a reasonable job of it and obviously had a ‘cunning plan’ in the way I had sorted the parts into the various compartments in my tray… BUT… In the time that had lapsed since I put this project on the back burner I had forgotten what my plan of attack was! Du-Oh!

Anyway, I’m back into it again but I will say - and I remember thinking this then I first sorted out all the parts into - that I could really have done with a bigger sorting tray with a LOT more compartments.
Fewer compartments means many more parts in each, which leads to a lot of ferreting around to find the part that you are looking for. There have been several occasions that I was convinced that the bit I was looking for was lost - only to find it in the wrong compartment or in the right compartment but hidden under a load of other similarly coloured and shaped components!
You Get What You Pay For
The other issue that I have had with this COBI kit has been the instructions. Don’t get me wrong, whether OK, but at times the diagrams of the assembly of the parts aren’t entirely clear. You have to sometimes look ahead in the instructions to see how the separate sub-components fit together and there has been a few occasions that I have had to disassemble parts and reassembled them to get them to fit.
Not a biggy BUT I was spoilt in that my very first brick kit - my Indiana Jones Chase Set - was a LEGO one and benefitted in its assembly from LEGO’s excellent building assistant app. This allows you to see the instructions in 3D and lets you revolver the parts and assemblies about in 3D space so you can see behind whatever set of parts you are putting together. I wish COBI had something like this app!

There again, LEGO model come at a premium and therefore have the extra money to throw at snazzy extras like build apps.
Half Way There
Minor frustrations aside everything’s seems to be going well and I estimate that I am about half way through this build.
I am moving on to the building of the main wings next and reckon I should be able to complete it in a couple more days… IF I manage to get some time to myself. (Though at worse I think it should be done this week.)

Post a Comment