Comfort Gaming, But Nothing New.
I've now had a couple of short sessions playing my 'new' PC game - new to me that is, but first released back in 2018. Enough time to quickly appraise why the reviews for this were 'mixed'.
I( knew going into this exactly what this game was actually, as it is plainly obvious to the experienced computer gamer. If you are a fan of the 'LEFT 4 DEAD' genre of solo/coop episodic shooter looters then Strange Brigade is kinda more of the same.
This game by the developer Rebellion is really a money grab which squeezes just a bit more milage out of their hugely popular Zombie Army Trilogy. Same game, different clothes....
Not that there's a whole lot wrong with that IF you are a big fan of this format of shooter. It's 'more of teh same' in a varied time and setting. And IF - like me - you are a big fan of the classic 1930/40s high adventure movies or their modern retellings then the setting is entertaining enough.
This game release seems to be Rebellions attempt to cash in on the (then) recent 'Mummy' movie releases, as Tom Cruise's (miserable) remake of Brandon Frasers wonder adaptation was touted as the big hit of 2017 (I'd beg to differ). And spin-offs of the Fraser era Mummy in the form of Scorpion King movies were still garnering some interest (for fans of horrendously bad CGI)!
Long story short, Strange Brigade is neither technically or thematically original. 😐
But, as I said, as a fan of the L4D shooter format it's a bit more of what I like with some nice new scenery. Just do not expect anything novel. I was left feeling 'I've done this all before' and simply exchanging zombies or Nazi zombies for mummies is not going to make the game drastically different.
But as a cheap filler - as it was on sale on STEAM when I got it - is just 'OK'.
Rating; 5/10 (Marked up because some of the scenery graphics are nice.)

.jpg)
Post a Comment