Acrylics 'Green Skin' Paint Set For Miniatures


You Can Never Have Too Many Model Paints...Or Can You?

I have a wonderful and extensive collection of acrylic model paints. Very extensive...

But, this in itself poses a couple of slight issues; for one thing I actually have a bit too much chose in colours and also my collection is primarily aimed at historical military model painting.

The abundance of choice means that I often - due to poor project planning - forget which set of paints that I picked to paint a particular model. This is OK when I am just painting a one-off project BUT is a real paint when I am making a series of related models and need the paints to be exactly the same each time.

Above: My two original paint tests for 'Green Skins'. A 'bright' scheme for an Ork Ogre and a dark scheme for an Orruk... Unfortunately I neglected to make a note of the recipes for these schemes! Du-Oh!

Take my current project of painting Warhammer Orks. While there is some wiggle room to vary skin tones of my little green meanies I still want some sort of continuity between all the figures in how I go about applying the skin paint. Having a set technique and accompanying set of specific paints is a great starting point for this sort of thing. Here's an example of a *planned* Ork skin scheme...

And, unfortunately, since I did my original test pieces for my Orks I stupidly tidied all the paints I chose back into the paint racks and have forgoten which ones I used! And , no, I didn't do something sensible like making a note of which paints I used! 😡

The other issue is that my paints are mostly aimed at historic military schemes, with names like 'German Field Grey' or 'Olive Drab' or 'Khaki'... Fantasy paints normally come with names that hint to their intended use like 'Base Orruk Flesh' or 'Loren Forest' (Elvish green) or 'Dwarven Skin', which make choosing the right pot a bit easier.

SO... Yes I do have - probably - exactly the right paint to do my Orks but it isn't entirely obvious which ones they are.

To get around this, and make it easier for my poor feeble brain I have decided to but a specialised set of paints designed from the start to match the project I have in mind - VALLEJO'S Ref. 72.391 ORK SKIN SET...

This way, if I set aside this project again for any length of time - as I am apt to do - I at least have a fighting chance of being able to pick it up again using the right paints!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post